Sunday, June 18, 2006

The joy of rotas

I find I am guilty of a sinking feeling sometimes when I wake up on a Sunday, its not so much that I don't want to go to church (honestly I usually do), but its just that I have to go. I remember when I first moved here I could choose if I went to church or not and even where I would go, and I still went virtually every week. However, the more you get involved the less choice you get, first I found myself on rotas, then I joined the worship group, then I became a deacon and treasurer. I know you are thinking I chose to do these things (having said that you seem to end up on the rotas whether you like it or not - I wonder if a church exists without rotas?), but it still means I can't have a lie-in unless I have arranged it several weeks in advance which doesn't help much when you wake up with that stay in bed feeling! For some people sunday is a lazy day, I wonder what that is like!

This morning our service had a Leprosy Mission theme, when I think about what people go through with the disease I realise I am petty to be moaning about being on rotas. It also makes me wonder about what I am doing with my life, Eddie Askew and Dr Paul Brand are both associated with leprosy mission and have made a difference to people's lives. I guess as a teacher I am affecting children's lives but not in a very meaningful way, I'm not sure how much better their lives will be because I have taught them to solve equations or to do trigonometry! I'm not sure what I think I should be doing but I'm thinking I should be doing more.

I could write a lot more but you've guessed it, I'm on the rota for stewarding tonight so its time to go!

No comments: